No 3 Middlegate was built as a private house for Mr Joseph Pocklingon in 1807. It was later a school and then Hodgkinson & Beevor took occupation leading to the first use of the building as solicitors’ offices.
The offices in Southwell and Mansfield were brought into the firm more recently. In 1988 the firm merged with Temperly and Co of 2 Westgate Southwell and in 1989 with Harding and Co of Mansfield establishing its presence in those towns.
From 1st January 2004 the firm reverted to the old name of Tallents Solicitors practising from three offices in Newark, Southwell and Mansfield.
December 2012 saw Tallents win Business Commitment to the Community at Newark Business Awards and was a runner up in the Excellence in Business category.
2014 sees the 240th birthday of Tallents – one of the oldest law firms in the region, if not the United Kindgom.